July has come and gone without much fanfare. After June, one of the two biggest months of the year for dividends, July feels disappointing actually. But, let the numbers speak rather than my emotions 🙂
|College Fund (80K)|
|Passive Income (2015 vs 2016)|
|Retirement Fund ($900K)|
|Roof for our Family($750K)||00.00%|
|Life Insurance||Done (term life insurance payments initiated)|
Main Takeaways this month
- Portfolio Increases (in green above)
- I cannot believe that any of the positive gains will ever stand the test of time. It is the markets going crazy on us with insane valuations. So, I will not waste my time talking about it.
- Portfolio changes
- I did some more portfolio changes….hopefully for the last time this year. The main idea was to capture some gains and move them into a couple of new fund options. And also set aside some money for the cash fund.
- I wrote about this here. My new mutual fund investments are VWELX and VDAIX.
- Cash Fund
- I started a cash fund in May since I anticipated a few days of down market towards the end of June…with the interest rate drama, Britain’s exit from Euro decision, etc. I used the fund completely to buy the Brexit dip.
- I have started a new cash fund in July again…nothing big..two hundred dollars a month max. And some cash to seed the fund came from capturing some of the gains from some of my mutual funds.
- Passive Income Stream
- Passive Income for July 2016 ($579.61) was surprisingly lower than that of July 2015 (604.87). I was wondering why this happened…..and then I remembered on seeing the numbers. When I was jobless early this year, I sold some ESPP stock I had and used the money to buy VWITX (National MUNIs). I got to sell some ESPP without any additional taxes….the espp sale replaced some portion of my salary loss. The ESPP stock dividends are slightly more than the National MUNIs but at tax time, the MUNIs will score because the gains are tax free. I got the diversification I wanted but it came as a surprise.
- My goal is to reach $750 pm by end of this year…it is already July…and my monthly dividends are appx $433 pm.
- Target Dividend
- $750 pm => $9000 pa
- Current Dividend
- $433 pm => $5196 pa
- Balance to make up in the next 5 months
- $9000 – $5196 => $3804 over the next 5 months
- I think I might squeeze through….inspite of July’s weak dividends.
- Lets hope for the best!!
- Target Dividend