Happy new year everyone! May 2016 bring you closer to all your goals, with a good helping of peace and prosperity.
|Emergency Fund ($72K)|
|College Fund (80K)|
|Passive Income Streams ($4000 pm)|
|Retirement Fund ($900K)|
|Roof for our Family($1 mil)||00.00%|
|Life Insurance||Done (term life insurance payments initiated)|
2016 started off with a bang huh…;-) Yes…just like the whole world, my entire stock portfolio took a beating in January…college fund, retirement fund, and passive income mutual funds…all of them got beat.
In addition, the company I worked in got bought over and the buyer decided to conduct a massive layoff. I was impacted as well. Losing to job to start the new year, with no severance to boot, is definitely not the way I wanted to start the new year….but, hey, life has to move on right? Onto the next job. Thankfully, I had two weeks of vacation left over and I got paid for that. This event has reinforced my decision to reach for Financial Independence and I am now more motivated to reach FI now.
Now, for some good news.
- Surprise winner for January
- The only surprise winner that stayed positive in all of this, inspite of the Fed raising interest rates, was VCADX…my California MUNI bond fund that is part of my tax efficient passive income streams. Looks like the fear of stock market tanking is driving the bond fund up. Anyways, I am not selling this fund now but if I did, I would get decent capital gains 😉
- Dollar Cost Averaging
- Since the market had huge dips of multi-hundred points on many days, I took full advantage of this and boosted my investments to dollar cost average VDIGX, VHDYX and VTMGX. I contributed all of my vacation payout from my job loss towards this. Infact, I contributed more towards VTMGX (Vanguard Developed Markets Index Fund….my non-US exposure mutual fund). I want to have some of my passive income streams to not come from US companies. VTMGX diversifies my passive income streams to include companies from Greater Europe, Greater Asia and a bit from Canada.
- Passive Income Streams
- Passive income for January 2016 ($592.90) continued the winning trend vs January of last year ($557.78).
- I compute Passive Income per month as (total passive income in this year) / number of months completed this year.
- Total passive income is a sum of dividends + capital gains distributions.
- January Passive Income = (total passive income in this year) / 12 == $49.41
- Doing it this way keeps the monthly passive income more realistic because I can instantly know which of my monthly expenses are covered by this amount. I keep a separate tracker for this which I will write about at a later date.
- My final FI goal for passive income is $4000 per month (pm). This is going to take a while. So, my intermediate goal is to get $1000 pm in passive income first. How close am I to $1000 pm?
- I ended last year with a monthly passive income of $621 (averaged out).
- Assuming a 3% dividend return and a conservative 0% dividend growth, it will probably take me at least 3 more years to reach $1000 pm with a chunky sized investment each year. After reaching that, I plan to pretty much leave the investments on auto pilot. Wish me good luck 🙂
- Imagine taking the $1000 passive income per month and investing it back into the passive income streams….income compounding will kick start in a hurry….eagerly waiting for that day!