Two months already over in the new year….somehow feels that this year is going faster than last year!
I am still not sure on what should be my yearly goals for 2017. I am carrying forward some goals from last year…college fund, retirement fund, etc. Thanks to valuable comments on a blog post from Vivienne, Baba Joga and AmberTreeLeaves, I am getting close to a decision. By next month, I will decide one way or the other…else quarterly update in in jeopardy 🙂
Lets look at the numbers for Feb 2017.
|Emergency Fund $60K|
|College Fund (80K)|
|Passive Income (2016 vs 2017)|
|Roof for our Family($750K)||00.00%|
|Medical Fund (via HSA)|
|Life Insurance||Done (term life insurance policy)|
Main Takeaways this month
- Emergency Fund changes
- It is looking more likely that my next significant goal will be a real estate investment. Before that, I want to seed my passive income streams with as much money as possible to get it as close as possible to my intermediate goal of $1000 pm. My final goal is $4000 pm as documented here.
- So, to get closer to $1000 pm, one change I made I reduced my emergency fund by appx $10K and pushed the money into a cash fund….to roll this into my passive income streams.
- I have initiated a per-month contribution towards rebuilding my Emergency fund, but that can happen in the background.
- Passive Income Stream
- Passive Income for Feb 2017 ($408.50) is appx 51% higher than Feb 2016 ($269.65). This increase is an expected one.
- In July of 2016, I welcomed some new members to my mutual fund family. One of the new arrivals was VWITX (Vanguard Intermediate Term National MUNI fund).
- A good portion of the year-over-year increase in passive income for Feb comes from VWITX. This pattern will repeat the rest of the year as well.
- Additional Investments
- International exposure
- Just like prior months, I have continued to increase my exposure outside the US. Stocks in United States seem too overvalued to my simple mind.
- And I want my passive income streams to come from many countries all over the world to spread the risk of a single part of the world going through a bad phase.
- So, I added to my existing investments in Emerging markets (via VEIEX) and Euro-Pacific Developed Markets (via VTMGX).
- International exposure
- Build a tiny cash fund again
- I am accumulating some money in a money market fund. I want to have a small cash fund accumulated to take advantage of any market dip(s).